Jordan (Ontario, Canada)
Jordan, a village formerly in Louth Township, Lincoln County, Ontario (now part of the Town of Lincoln, Region of Niagara, Ontario), on the east bank of Twenty Pond, near the present Highway 8, where services were held probably in 1840-1870 by the Mennonites when they were strongest in this county. The Moyer church three miles (five km) west was the central church. Early ministers near the Jordan church were Daniel Hoch (1806-1878), who after 1850 led the Canada-Ohio General Conference Mennonite movement; Abraham Rittenhouse (1840-1919), ordained in 1871, and Daniel Honsberger (1835-1914), ordained in 1875. Early deacons were Christian Honsberger (1781-1831) and Philip Wismer (1810-1897).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 121. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Fretz, Joseph C. "Jordan (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6696.html.
APA style: Fretz, Joseph C. (1957). Jordan (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6696.html.