Kane Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Kane, Manitoba, Canada)
Kane, MB. In 1965 there were 42 members. The congregation dissolved in 1973. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada. The congregation began services about 1943. The first building was occupied in 1948, with a subsequent building program in 1952. Henry P. Schellenberg is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization of southern Manitoba.
The first church building was that of the Morden Herold congregation which was moved to Kane in 1948. In 1952 the Edenberg Bergthaler building was moved to Kane. In the late 1940s there was division in the group between those who wanted to affiliate with the Bergthaler and those who wished to remain independent. Much of the early membership was interdenominational.
Mennonite Reporter (28 May 1973): 1.
Gerbrandt, Henry J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB, 1970: 203-208.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Kane Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Kane, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K364.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Kane Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Kane, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K364.html.