Karaguy (Orenburg Mennonite Settlement, Orenburg Oblast, Russia)
Karaguy, a village in the Orenburg Mennonite settlement of Russia, was founded in 1908. In 1910 it became the seat of a subsidiary congregation of the Kamenka Mennonite Brethren Church. The Karaguy center included Chernoozernoye, Kamyshevo, Zelenoye, Karaguy, Pretoria, and Zuvorovka. The earlier meetinghouse, which had been built in Kamyshevo in 1899, was sold and torn down when the larger church in Karaguy was built in 1914. Ministers of the Karaguy Mennonite Brethren Church were Wilhelm Giesbrecht (leader 1898-1905), Jakob Bergen (leader 1905-1909, David Janz, Gerhard Neufeld, Daniel Friesen, Kornelius Janzen, Franz Heier and Abram Janzen. After 1914 David Janz of Zagradovka in the Ukraine was ordained as elder of the Karaguy congregation.
The Kirchliche Mennonites of Karaguy belonged to the Orenburg Mennonite Church, with a center at Deyevka.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 459.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 150. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Quiring, Walter. "Karaguy (Orenburg Mennonite Settlement, Orenburg Oblast, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K372.html.
APA style: Quiring, Walter. (1957). Karaguy (Orenburg Mennonite Settlement, Orenburg Oblast, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K372.html.