Kedung-Pendjalin (Java, Indonesia)
Kedung-Pendjalin, a former mission station of the Dutch Mennonite missionary association in Java, was established in 1869 by members of the church founded in and about Japara by Pieter Jansz, the first missionary sent by the association. These members were living in several villages south of Japara, but since land was too scarce to assure them a living they settled north of Japara on land covered by virgin forests given them free of charge by the Dutch government, and built the village Kedung-Pendjalin.
Almost at the same time Pasrah, an assistant of Pieter Jansz, founded a small Christian congregation. It was served in turn by Jansz, Schuurmans, and Pieter Anton Jansz. In 1893 Johann Hübert came to the field and located at Kedung-Pendjalin in 1895. A church seating 400 was built in that year. In 1896 two evangelists, Tresno and Martakarija, were appointed, and gave devoted service for many years. In 1906 a 40-bed hospital was erected, which was later enlarged. In 1908 Hübert built a school, which in 1933 employed five teachers for a student body of 199.
In 1931 Hermann Schmitt took over the schools of this station, so that Hübert could devote all his time to the church. In 1933 it had a membership of 1,317, including the 649 unbaptized school children, five assistants and evangelists, two Sunday schools, and seven schools. In 1954 the baptized membership was 451, with 459 children.
The following subsidiary churches belong to Kedung-Pendjalin: Bondo, established in 1897, church dedicated in 1899, school built in 1895; Balongkodak, founded in 1904, church built in 1908, and a school in 1911; Puladjati, founded 1896, dissolved 1908; Japara, founded 1852, and reopened for the third time in 1924; Margokerto, founded 1900, church dedicated 1928; Tembelang, founded 1907, school 1910; Poring, founded 1921; Pakis, founded 1925. Missionary Johann Hübert was in charge of this congregation until 1936; he was followed by Otto Stauffer, who served until 1940. On 24 November 1940, this congregation became independent, with S. Jogopranoto as its pastor. In 1949 the congregation numbered 373 baptized members and 511 children; in 1955 the figures were about 450 and 500.
Reports of the Dutch Mission Association.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 478.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 160. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hübert, Johann and Nanne van der Zijpp. "Kedung-Pendjalin (Java, Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K407.html.
APA style: Hübert, Johann and Nanne van der Zijpp. (1957). Kedung-Pendjalin (Java, Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K407.html.