Kiowa County (Kansas, USA)
|Kiowa County, Kansas
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Kiowa County, Kansas (1957 population 4,730; 2000 population 1,622) is located in the south central part of the state. The Mennonites in the community in the 1950s were largely farmers living in the south half of the county. There were three branches of Mennonites in the area. The Church of God in Christ, Mennonite were the first group of Mennonites to come to the county, coming from Marion and McPherson counties in 1906. They had a country church (Bethel) of approximately 80 members.
Various Mennonite families who came to this community around 1908 and after organized the (Old) Mennonite Church in Greensburg in 1932. Its 1955 membership of 75 came from seven different denominational backgrounds. The Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (MC) of Elkhart, Indiana in the 1950s operated a 24-bed general hospital in Greensburg, which was the only Mennonite institution in the county. The Faith Mennonite Church (affliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church) was organized in 1948 and had a membership of 31 in 1955.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 178. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Janzen, Samuel. "Kiowa County (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K52559.html.
APA style: Janzen, Samuel. (1957). Kiowa County (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K52559.html.