Mennonite Church of Lehigh (Lehigh, Kansas, USA)
The Mennonite Church of Lehigh (General Conference Mennonite Church) in 1957 was a member of the Western District Conference. There were a few Mennonite families living in and around Lehigh before 1890 who met for worship in an old frame school building. On 12 December 1900 the congregation was organized, and in 1906 the first church was built. In 1901 evangelists P. J. Krause and C. C. Heidebrecht were ordained as ministers. The latter resigned soon afterward; Krause served until his death in 1917. He was followed by F. G. Pankratz, who served until 1925, Gustav Frey, who served for 6 years, Gerhard Friesen, and B. H. Janzen. In 1947 Peter W. Goering accepted the charge. The church was enlarged in 1926, remodeled in 1945. The 1954 membership was 227.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 313. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Goering, Peter W. "Mennonite Church of Lehigh (Lehigh, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/L4365.html.
APA style: Goering, Peter W. (1957). Mennonite Church of Lehigh (Lehigh, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/L4365.html.