Mackinaw Amish Mennonite Congregation (Woodford County, Illinois, USA)
Mackinaw, one of the nine original congregations of Amish Mennonites in central Illinois, along the Mackinaw River in southern Woodford County. In the 1830s Amish families settled along the river. As more settlers located in this area it became known as the "Mackinaw Meeting." In 1840 Christian Ropp was ordained preacher and in 1846 bishop of this congregation. The church was one of those that participated in the General Amish Conference (Diener-Versammlungen). Later the congregation became part of the Amish Mennonite movement which organized the Western District Amish Mennonite Conference. After 1872 the southern portion of the Mackinaw Meeting began to use the old church of the Rock Creek congregation, while the other portion continued meeting in homes. This led to the creation of two congregations, Roanoke and Goodfield, both later members of the Illinois Mennonite Conference.
Weber, Harry F. Centennial History of the Mennonites of Illinois 1829-1929. Goshen, IN: Mennonite Historical Society, 1931.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 432-433. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Mackinaw Amish Mennonite Congregation (Woodford County, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3366.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Mackinaw Amish Mennonite Congregation (Woodford County, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3366.html.