Mancelona (Michigan, USA)
Mancelona, Michigan, a town about 40 miles (65 km) south of Petoskey, the location of a small settlement of Mennonites (MC), where J. S. Coffman held several services in July 1881, and where he hoped a congregation would soon be organized. One of the Coffman meetings was held in the house of David Garber. One must have been organized soon, since on 22 September 1883, "two young persons were received into the church by baptism," and "on the 23rd communion services were held." Nothing further could be learned about this early group. In 1948 a mission was established here called Cold Springs. In 1956 Willard Bontrager was the pastor, with 22 members.
Herald of Truth (1881): 139; (1883): 314.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 445. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Mancelona (Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3525.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mancelona (Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3525.html.