Manchester Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)
Manchester Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church (formerly called Liverpool), a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was located eight miles (13 km) north of York, in York County, Pennsylvania. The Mennonites in this community, the Keller, Leib, Reiff, and Rodes families, worshiped in private homes and in the Hoover Union Church until 1810. In that year a yellow sandstone meetinghouse was built on land given by Christian Keller one-half mile north of the town of Manchester. It was regularly used until 1850 when the congregation in effect had died out. Thereafter it was occasionally used by the Stony Brook congregation as an additional preaching point. In 1948 it was reopened as a mission station in the old building, the oldest meetinghouse still in use in the Lancaster Conference. In 1949 Joseph H. Martin was ordained as pastor and in 1954 Lloyd L. Hollinger as assistant pastor. In 1955 the membership was 50.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 445-446. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Manchester Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3530.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Manchester Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3530.html.