Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at 115 Maple Grove Road, Belleville, Pennsylvania, was organized by "meetinghouse" Amish as a congregatioa in 1863 under the leadership of Bishop Solomon Byler. Services in the new building were held for the first time on 9 August 1868. The congregation affiliated itself with the Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference, but is now affiliated with the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. Samuel Yoder served as bishop 1864-1884. Succeeding bishops were David Zook 1884-1886, Michael Yoder 1886-1889, Abraham D. Zook 1889-1898, Michael Yoder assisted by John E. Kauffman 1898-1910, Eli H. Kanagy 1910-?, Aaron Mast 1935- . The membership in 1954 was 278, with Aaron Mast as bishop and Jacob Weirich as minister. In 2005 the membership was 287.
In 1936 the Maple Grove congregation started a mission outpost at Barrville, five miles (eight km) north of Belleville. It was organized as a separate congregation in 1956.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 474. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Kaufman, Ammon and John L. Horst. "Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M36875.html.
APA style: Kaufman, Ammon and John L. Horst. (1957). Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M36875.html.