Maple Lawn Homes (Eureka, Illinois, USA)
Maple Lawn Homes (first known as Mennonite Home for the Aged), Eureka, Illinois, was operated by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (MC). Authorized in 1921, the Home was dedicated 23 July 1922. It is located on a hill north of the city, and in the mid-1950s accommodated 47 persons, including the workers. Five acres of the 18-acre tract were used for the buildings, garden, and orchard. In 1946 the institution became a licensed nursing home. J. D. Smith served as superintendent of the Home from its beginning until his retirement in 1947, when Clayton Sutter was appointed to the office. Earl Greaser became superintendent of the home in 1956.
Derstine, C. F. "The Mennonite Home for the Aged." Christian Monitor (January 1923).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 628. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Maple Lawn Homes (Eureka, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M36881.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Maple Lawn Homes (Eureka, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M36881.html.