Markstay Union Church (Markstay, Ontario, Canada)
The Markstay Mennonite Mission was located 2 km north of Highway 17 near Sudbury, Ontario. It opened in 1936 under the leadership of Walter McDowell and Arthur Gingrich, and sponsored by the Mennonite Mission Board of Ontario. The first impulse for the work had been given by Linford Hackman.
The work had periods of progress and decline, but never developed into a strong congregation. In 1954 the total membership was 7, although by 1948 over 75 persons had professed conversion and 22 persons had been baptized.
At various times "outposts" from the Markstay church were established, with Summer Bible schools and Sunday schools conducted at locations like Mountville, Whitefish, Nairn and Virginiatown near Kirkland Lake.
Minister Amzie Brubacher served in the 1960s as a congregational leader. The congregation dissolved in 1965. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario.
Christian Monitor (November 1939): 334.
Smith, Roy H. "Markstay-Monetville." 1954, Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 490. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingrich, Arthur and Marlene Epp. "Markstay Union Church (Markstay, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3737ME.html.
APA style: Gingrich, Arthur and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Markstay Union Church (Markstay, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M3737ME.html.