Medina County (Ohio, USA)
|Medina County, Ohio
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Medina County, Ohio, originally a part of Western Reserve of Connecticut,, was organized in 1818. It was the home in 1957 of three Mennonite congregations with a total of 425 baptized members: Wadsworth First Mennonite) (General Conference Mennonite) with 254 members, Lower (Old Order Mennonite) with 40 members, and Bethel (Mennonite Church) with 131, in the southeastern part of the county, all derived from original Mennonite settlers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1829, soon joined by others from Maryland, from Lancaster and Lehigh counties, Pennsylvania, and from Canada. The first Mennonite school of higher education (General Conference Mennonite) was located in Wadsworth in 1867-1878.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 555-556. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Medina County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M442.html.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1957). Medina County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M442.html.