Memorial Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)
Memorial Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located at Altoona, PA, was begun as Bethany Mission in 1913 by the Eastern District under the General Conference Board of Missions. The workers' home was erected in 1918. Jacob Snyder Board of Roaring Spring, PA, became active director. Elizabeth Voth and Martha Franz served as workers until 1924. The permanent church building was erected in 1920 and dedicated as Memorial Mennonite Church on 27 February 1921. During George M. Bergen's service 1921-1924, the congregation was organized with 48 members. Early in 1925 Louis H. Glass, a railroad-engineer and evangelist, became the leader. Mrs. Edith Stiffler and daughter resided in the workers' home and helped with the work. Their ten-year period of service brought the congregation to its highest point with 95 members. Ill health caused Glass to resign in December 1936 and Mrs. Stiffler closed her service at the same time. Grover Klink served only 18 months as leader and was succeeded by Emerson F. Slotterback, who served till 1942. Much unemployment and a shifting population "on the hill" made work very difficult and the membership slowly decreased. There was no dependable lay leadership. Delbert E. Welty came and sought to rally the forces, but to no avail. The Board closed the field on 24 August 1945. The Salvation Army bought the buildings and carryied on the work in that area.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 569. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Neuenschwander, A. J. "Memorial Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46025.html.
APA style: Neuenschwander, A. J. (1957). Memorial Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46025.html.