Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA)
Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), better known as the New Stark (Ohio) Mennonite Church, and often called simply Chapel, a member of the Ohio Mennonite Conference, was not organized until 1876 but some of the members had moved in from Stark County, Ohio, as early as 1839. Children and grandchildren of Bishop John Thut of Bluffton made up the majority of the congregation, never very large. Menno Chapel was built a mile west of New Stark in 1878. John Blosser was bishop for many years. He was followed by his brother Noah, who took his congregation into the General Conference of Mennonites of North America when it disagreed with the discipline of the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference about 1924. After his death ministers connected with the Witmarsum Theological Seminary at Bluffton, Ohio, served the congregation. Later the members joined with the few remaining members of the New Stark Presbyterian Church to form the New Stark Community Church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 574-575. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46353.html.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1957). Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46353.html.