Mennonite Aid Union (Ontario)
Mennonite Aid Union (Ontario, Canada), the oldest Mennonite mutual fire and storm property insurance organization, was organized on 9 April 1866 by authorization of the Ontario Mennonite Conference given in September 1864. Its original constitution declared that it was an effort to return to apostolic conditions, and every brother was urged to give his portion willingly in love to cover losses. At first serving only members of the Mennonite Church (MC), in 1919 it made members of the Brethren in Christ Church eligible for participation. It served the Ontario and Alberta-Saskatchewan areas. In 1953 it had 2,442 members, covering property valued at $25,000,000.
In 2002 it began a transformation into MutualAid eXchange Canada (MAX Canada), participating in the larger North American reciprocal insurance arrangement for Anabaptist-related mutual aid organizations.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: The Conference, 1935.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 589. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Aid Union (Ontario)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463669.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Aid Union (Ontario). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463669.html.