Mennonite Community, The (Periodical)
The Mennonite Community was a 36-page periodical published by the Mennonite Community Association at Scottdale, PA, January 1947 to October 1949. At first a bimonthly, in January 1948 it became a monthly. In November 1949 responsibility for its publication was assumed by the Mennonite Publishing House. Stressing the social implications of the Gospel, the journal conceived of the Christian community as church-centered and was concerned that its economic, social, educational, and cultural life should be a true expression of the Gospel to which the church adheres. Emphasis was placed on social ethics, stewardship, brotherhood, Christian education, and health practices. In January 1954 the Mennonite Community and the Christian Monitor were discontinued and replaced by a new periodical, Christian Living, combining the interests of both, and described as "A Magazine for Home and Community." The editor of the Mennonite Community was Grant Stoltzfus to August 1952, after which an editorial committee with Ralph Hernley as chairman had charge of the journal.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 619. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hershberger, Guy F. "Mennonite Community, The (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46616.html.
APA style: Hershberger, Guy F. (1957). Mennonite Community, The (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46616.html.