Mennonite Crusaders, Inc.
Mennonite Crusaders, Inc., organized in June 1951 and incorporated in Virginia 16 June 1952 was an organization of interested Virginia Mennonites created to operate The Mennonite Hour. In 1956 it changed its name to Mennonite Broadcasts, Inc. In June 1953 it entered into an agreement with the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities to operate and promote a Mennonite broadcasting program cooperatively and thus it became an officially endorsed and supervised agency. Headquarters were at Harrisonburg, VA, where it maintained its studio. The officers were Lewis Strite president, Richard Weaver vice-president, Harley Rhodes secretary-treasurer, Norman Derstine program director, B. Charles Hostetter radio pastor. Besides its periodical publications, Mennonite Hour Informer and Mennonite Hour Prayer Guide, it began in 1952 a series of publications consisting of collected sermons of the radio pastor. It also operated a Bible correspondence course. Mennonite Crusaders was financed by voluntary contributions, largely from the radio audience. In June 1955 it was broadcasting over 32 stations in the United States, in addition to two in Canada, Radio Ceylon on four beams, Quito, Ecuador, Manila in the Philippines, with eight programs, two in Puerto Rico, and one in the Virgin Islands.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 619. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Crusaders, Inc.." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46640.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Crusaders, Inc.. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46640.html.