Mennonite Gospel Mission Church (Peoria, Illinois, USA)
Mennonite Gospel Mission Church in Peoria, Illinois, was opened in 1914 by the Home Mission Committee of the Central Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church). Jacob Sommer, who was assisting at the Mennonite Gospel Mission in Chicago, was called to open this new work in Peoria. The first service was held in a rented store building at 920 North Adams St., with 37 in attendance; in 1916 the building utilized in 1956 was erected at 1001 North Adams St. In 1956 there was a church membership of 148, which afforded a strong working group for constant need of mission work in a city such as Peoria, and the minister is Samuel Ummel, with Melvin Norquist as assistant.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 624. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Ummel, Samuel. "Mennonite Gospel Mission Church (Peoria, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M466830.html.
APA style: Ummel, Samuel. (1957). Mennonite Gospel Mission Church (Peoria, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M466830.html.