Mercy Hospital (Moundridge, Kansas, USA)
Mercy Hospital, 218 E. Pack St., Moundridge, KS, is a non-profit institution of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The conviction that the total work of the Church of Christ includes caring for the sick was shared by many of its members. A large house was purchased and remodeled into a 15-bed hospital equipped with modern facilities for major surgery and obstetrics and dedicated 15 October 1944 and officially opened four days later. In 1953 a new brick fireproof addition was added, which included a clinic, emergency room, six patient rooms, an operating room, a dining room and kitchen, an office, and a waiting room, all modern and air-conditioned.
The staff in 1956 consisted of a resident doctor, administrator, board of directors consisting of three executive board members and four regular board members. The personnel including two to three registered nurses numbered sixteen.
The nurses' home was located across the street from the hospital. The first budget (1944) was $20,000; the 1956 budget showed assets that totaled $104,771.88. The hospital board was responsible to the overall board, which in turn was responsible to the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite General Conference.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 655. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hiebert, P. G. "Mercy Hospital (Moundridge, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M4864.html.
APA style: Hiebert, P. G. (1957). Mercy Hospital (Moundridge, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M4864.html.