Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)
Midway Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located near Columbiana, Mahoning County, Ohio, is a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA. The first meetinghouse was built about 1825 on land deeded to the church by Jacob Oberholtzer, who was the first Mennonite minister in Ohio, having arrived here in 1806. A new brick church was constructed in 1869 to replace the older building. An addition was constructed in 1899. The building had been remodeled twice since that time (to 1956). For many years the members and the ministers were a part of the circuit of the three churches—Midway, North Lima, and Leetonia, rather than assigned to a specific church. The bishops who served since about 1866 were Joseph Bixler, John Burkholder, and Albert J. Steiner. In 1956 Paul Yoder was bishop-pastor, and Ernest Martin minister, with a membership of 164. It was called Oberholtzer's until 1898.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 682. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Yoder, Paul R. "Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5380.html.
APA style: Yoder, Paul R. (1957). Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5380.html.