Mill Run Mennonite Mission (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Mill Run Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Mission, located in a suburb of Altoona, PA, with a population of a few hundred, was an outgrowth of the Altoona mission work and was located about three miles (5 km) north of the Home Mission at 2504 Fourth Avenue. The Southwestern Pennsylvania (now Allegheny) Mission Board authorized the opening of the work in November 1927; a plot of ground was purchased for a building site, and a chapel was built, dedicated in 1928. A mission home was erected in 1933, and in 1937 a school adjacent to the chapel was purchased to provide more space. The former chapel was converted into a residence. At first the work was carried on under the supervision of the Altoona Mission, but it now has its own workers and organization under the direction of the Allegheny Mennonite Mission Board, in 1956 the membership was 30, with Sidney Martin as pastor.
Nissley, Joseph. Mennonite Yearbook and Directory (1929).
Horst, John L. and Amnion Kaufman. Seventy-fifth Anniversary Observance of Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference (1951).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 690. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Horst, John L. "Mill Run Mennonite Mission (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5435.html.
APA style: Horst, John L. (1957). Mill Run Mennonite Mission (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5435.html.