Miller Mennonite Church (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA)
Miller Mennonite Church (Washington-Franklin Mennonite Conference), located near Leitersburg, MD, was established before 1800. After services had been held in private homes for many years, a stone meetinghouse was built by Martin Bachtel (their minister) upon his farm near Fiddlersburg, which served until 1835, when a stone church was built on the present site, donated by Jacob Miller, which was surrounded by many families of the Miller name. The brick church was built in 1926. The bishop in 1835 was Peter Eshleman, ordained in 1828. Ministers who have served the congregation were Christian Strite, ordained 1850; Jacob Oberholtzer, 1863; Adam Baer, 1876; his son Henry H. Baer, 1883; J. C. Miller, 1893; D. M. Strite, 1901; John D. Risser, 1920. M. K. Horst was serving as bishop in 1954. Sunday school has been conducted there since 1893. The 1956 membership was 183, with Daniel M. Strite and Samuel L. Martin as ministers.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 692-693. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Risser, John D. "Miller Mennonite Church (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5491.html.
APA style: Risser, John D. (1957). Miller Mennonite Church (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5491.html.