Miller Mennonite Church (Clarence, New York, USA)
Miller Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located in the western outskirts of Clarence, New York. It was built by the Strickler family on Ulrich Strickler's farm. Ulrich's brother-in-law, a Miller, was to preach there. John Strickler, a son of pioneer Ulrich Strickler, was also a preacher here. This point likely represented the independent action of some Mennonites of Erie County, New York, after the middle of the 19th century, when disturbances were affecting several congregations of the Mennonite Conference (MC) of Ontario, of which these east of the Niagara River were to be a part. About 1825 the Miller church, already in disuse, was converted into a residence. Its structure of stone was still substantial a century later (see Strickler's Mennonite Church).
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Toronto, 1935: 55.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 692. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Fretz, Joseph C. "Miller Mennonite Church (Clarence, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5492.html.
APA style: Fretz, Joseph C. (1957). Miller Mennonite Church (Clarence, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5492.html.