Mils (Tyrol, Austria)
Mils, a village near Hall, was one of the earliest centers of Anabaptism in Tyrol, Austria. In August 1529 in a forest near Mils 20 persons were seized in a worship service and taken to Hall on the Inn. On 14 September they were put into solitary confinement to prevent their encouraging each other. They received instruction in Catholic doctrine from Christoph Landtsperger, and most of them recanted. Two women, Anna Malerin and Ursula Ochsentreiberin, remaining constant to their faith, suffered a martyr's death.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 138.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 695. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hege, Christian. "Mils (Tyrol, Austria)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5505.html.
APA style: Hege, Christian. (1957). Mils (Tyrol, Austria). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5505.html.