Missionary Messenger, The (Periodical)
The Missionary Messenger, the official organ of the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA), began as a 4-page quarterly in April 1924, became a 12-page 7-3/4 x 10-3/4 in. monthly in May 1925, a 16-page after December 1930 with an occasional 16-page supplement. Orie O. Miller was the first editor; his successors (to 1057) with time of beginning were: J. P. Sauder, March 1932; Menno E. Miller, May 1935; Howard Charles, May 1941; Mahlon Hess, October 1941; Irvin B. Horst, July 1946; T. Lester Brubaker, February 1947; Paul N. Kraybill, Mav 1951. It touched all phases of missions, relief, and service, and some general church life. The 1957 subscription list of 4,900 reached the entire conference, serving especially well by "keeping all the issues before all of our people all the time."
The Missionary Messenger continued to publish in 2006.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 711. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Missionary Messenger, The (Periodical) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M57864.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Missionary Messenger, The (Periodical) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M57864.html.