Montgomery Female Institute (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Montgomery Female Institute was a private girls' school organized at Collegeville, Montgomery County, PA, about 1851 by a Mennonite bishop (previously in succession Mennonite Church and General Conference Mennonite), who had become an independent, Abraham Hunsicker (1793-1872), and two other persons, J. W. Sunderland and Luannie Sunderland. In their announcement the founders expressed this position: "We believe the female mind endowed with powers and capabilities quite equal to those of the other sex. . . . We have a twofold object in view,—first, to provide correct and thorough instruction in the ordinary branches of learning . . . ; second, to afford. . . a more extensive course in the sciences and liberal arts. . . ." The institution was incorporated in 1853. Sunderland served as president. The name was soon changed to Pennsylvania Female College. The last class of graduates completed their work in 1875. The total number of graduates from 1853 through 1875 amounted to over 100. After 1875 the school ceased to exist.
Bean, Theodore W. History of Montgomery County. Philadelphia, 1884: 419 f.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 747. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Montgomery Female Institute (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M6573.html.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1957). Montgomery Female Institute (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M6573.html.