Morgantown (Pennsylvania, USA)
Morgantown, Pennshylvania, is a village of 365 inhabitants (1955) on the headwaters of Conestoga Creek in Berks County. Amish Mennonites and Mennonites (MC) live in and around the town. It is near the center of the oldest permanent Amish settlement in America, they having arrived there approximately 200 years ago. Three Mennonite churches in the 1950s were located in the adjacent area—Conestoga, Oley, and Rock, as well as the Conestoga Christian Day School. Farming was the chief occupation of the community, although many local businesses were Mennonite owned. The area was originally settled by Welsh in the 18th century. In 1955 the village also had a Methodist and an Episcopal church. The Pennsylvania Turnpike goes by the town. There were mining developments near by.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 752. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Stoltzfus, Grant M. "Morgantown (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M67080.html.
APA style: Stoltzfus, Grant M. (1957). Morgantown (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M67080.html.