Mount View Mennonite Church (High River, Alberta, Canada)
The Mount View congregation at High River, Alberta began services in 1891, and formally organized in 1901. The first building was occupied in 1902, with a subsequent building program in 1939. Norman B. Stauffer is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization of rural Alberta, with immigration from the United States and from Ontario.
Elias W. Bricker of Ontario was the pioneer settler in the area, coming with the first home-seekers' excursion sponsored by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1889. S.F. Coffman from Ontario organized the congregation on April 30, 1901 in Bricker's home. The congregation began with eleven members. Originally services were held in the Maple Leaf schoolhouse.
In 1925 there were 40 members; in 1950, 31; in 1965, 8; in 1974, 6. The congregation dissolved in 1974. It had been affiliated with the Northwest Mennonite Conference and the Mennonite Church. The language of worship was English.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. 1960: 11.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. "Mount View Mennonite Church (High River, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M687.html.
APA style: Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. (July 1986). Mount View Mennonite Church (High River, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M687.html.