Mugango Mennonite Church (Musoma, Tanzania)
Mugango Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located 17 miles (30 km) south of Musoma, Tanzania, Africa, is in the Jita and Ruri tribes. The Africa Inland Mission began work among these tribes and turned it over to Elam Stauffer of the East Africa Mennonite Mission on 1 October 1936. The first baptismal and communion services were held at Butata, Majita, on 13 August 1936; four were baptized and 25 received into fellowship from the former mission. On 14 March 1937, two were baptized at Mugango and three received into fellowship. Since all the work of the Majita field was under the supervision of the Muango station, the full beginning of the church there was the result of these two services. The total of this beginning was 34 members. The membership in 1956 was 270. W. Ray Wenger arrived at Mugango on 10 April 1938, and had pastoral oversight of the work until his death on 9 June 1945. He was ordained bishop at Mugango on 24 April 1941, for the South Mara area of Musoma District. Elam Stauffer had pastoral oversight of the Mugango-Majita churches in 1955.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 173.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 764. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Stauffer, Elam W. "Mugango Mennonite Church (Musoma, Tanzania)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M826.html.
APA style: Stauffer, Elam W. (1957). Mugango Mennonite Church (Musoma, Tanzania). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M826.html.