Mummasburg (Pennsylvania, USA)
Mummasburg, Pennsylvania, five miles (8 km) northwest of Gettysburg, was laid out as a town in 1820, and the Mennonite meetinghouse built by 1823 from community funds. The first preachers were Bishop Abraham Roth, David Reiff, and George Throne, followed by Christian and Daniel Shank with Martin Whisler. Earlier they worshiped in a building where Flohr's Schoolhouse between New Salem and Cashtown stood in the 1950s. There a cemetery holds some of the early settlers. In spite of a schism in 1927, when the Fairfield General Conference Mennonite Church was formed, and another in the forties, when the Bethel Mennonite Church, then in the Ohio and Eastern Conference (MC), was formed, the congregation in 1956 numbered 54 members. Amos W. Myer and Roy M. Geigley were the ministers assisting Bishop Richard Danner.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 774. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Mummasburg (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M84465.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mummasburg (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M84465.html.