Munter, Jan (1570-ca. 1620)
Jan Munter, b. 1570, d. about 1620, and his wife, Sara van Tongerloo, b. 1578, d. after 1639, were members of the Waterlander congregation at Amsterdam. As owner of the former bakery of the East India Company, he placed this building at the disposal of a group of English Brownists in 1608, who under the leadership of John Smyth had separated from the main body. In 1615 this group, then led by Thomas Pigott—Smyth had died in 1612—merged with the Mennonite Waterlander congregation. The English, using their own language in the meetings, continued to hold services in the "Jan Munter's bakhuis" until 1639, the year of Pigott's death.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de and William Elliot Griffis. History of the Free churchmen called the Brownists, Pilgrim fathers and Baptists in the Dutch republic, 1581-1701. Ithaca, NY: Andrus & Church, : 143-146, 166-168.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 784. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Munter, Jan (1570-ca. 1620)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M856.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1957). Munter, Jan (1570-ca. 1620). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M856.html.