Located on the eastern shore of Lake Victoria, this lakeport city of 56,000, was founded by the Germans in the late 19th century. It serves as the governmental headquarters and commercial center for the Mara Region of Tanzania. The area produces cotton and textiles, corn (maize), hides, dairy products, and sisal fiber. Subsistence farmers raise cassava, millet, and some rice. Fishing is an important local industry.
Tanzania Mennonite Church (Kanisa la Mennonite Tanzania) had its beginnings in this region in 1934. The congregation in the town was started in 1937. Mennonite ministries based in the town are a bookshop and a conference center and hostel. Prior to nationalization of educational institutions, the church also operated a primary school, a girls' middle school, and was an owner partner in operating an alliance secondary school.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 613. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, Daniel L. "Musoma (Tanzania)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M8765.html.
APA style: Wenger, Daniel L. (1987). Musoma (Tanzania). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M8765.html.