Namaka Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Namaka, Alberta, Canada)
The Namaka Evangelical Mennonite Brethren congregation in Namaka, AB began services and formally organized in 1927. The first building was occupied in 1932. A. A. Toews is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union. In 1942 the group affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren and became known as the Namaka Mennonite Brethren church. In the early years of settlement, the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren, Mennonite Brethren and General Conference Mennonites worshipped together.
Rempel, G. S. A Historical Sketch of the Churches of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren. 1939.
Toews, John A. A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. 1975: 166.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 808. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Toews, A. A. and Marlene Epp. "Namaka Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Namaka, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N353ME.html.
APA style: Toews, A. A. and Marlene Epp. (July 1986). Namaka Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Namaka, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N353ME.html.