Neu-Schönwiese (Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine)
Neu-Schönwiese (Russian, Dmitrovka) was a Mennonite settlement near Alexandrovka in Ukraine. In the church organization it was a subsidiary of the Schönwiese Mennonite Church, and was founded in 1868. The land, 3,788 acres, was bought from Russian estate owners, and was of such quality that the settlement soon achieved prosperity. But here too the civil war of 1918 had a devastating effect.
On 15 November 1918 the inhabitants fled to Schönwiese, but returned in 1919. They suffered the loss of all their property.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 219.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 857. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, David H. "Neu-Schönwiese (Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N4806.html.
APA style: Epp, David H. (1957). Neu-Schönwiese (Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N4806.html.