New Danville Reformed Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)
The New Danville Reformed Mennonite Church is located five miles (eight km) south of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The meetinghouse was built in 1837, and was known as the Stumptown church. It was organized under the leadership of Bishop Abram Snavely, one of the first ministers in that district. This frame building was used for many decades. Other ministers who served the congregation were John Kohr, Sr., Elias H. Hershey, John Kohr, Jr., Henry Fisher, Levi Weaver, and Christian Howry. The ministers of this group were not assigned to one particular meetinghouse, but alternated in the churches in the county. Likewise the members attended the meetings wherever they were held; it is therefore hard to give exact membership figures for that time. In the 1950s the alternating ministers were Jacob L. Kreider, J. Henry Fisher, Clyde Weaver, Ray Eshleman, Willis Weaver, and Earl M. Basinger. The total Reformed Mennonite membership in Lancaster County was about 300 in 1948.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 861. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Kreider, Jacob L. "New Danville Reformed Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49156.html.
APA style: Kreider, Jacob L. (1957). New Danville Reformed Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49156.html.