New Hopedale Mennonite Church (Meno, Oklahoma, USA)
The New Hopedale Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located at the northeast corner of Meno, Major County, Oklahoma, was organized 13 June 1895 in the basement of the Benjamin P. Jantz home with 25 charter members. Johann Ratzlaff was called to be their elder and pastor. In 1914 Ratzlaff retired for reasons of health and was followed by J. B. Epp, who served for five years, and was replaced by J. J. Ratzlaff. The following ministers assisted at the two meetinghouses: J. J. Ratzlaff, David H. Schmidt, Tobias P. Wedel, Tobias P. Unruh, Karl Schartner, Heinrich T. Neufeld, and Albert J. Unruh. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Ratzlaff were missionaries in India from New Hopedale. A group that had worshiped separately from the beginning later organized a congregation called West New Hopedale, taking over 50 members from New Hopedale.
H. U. Schmidt was pastor 1921-1948; the pulpit was supplied until 1955 by various temporary ministers. In 1955 Arnold A. Epp was regularly appointed to this church and served several months. Ben J. Nickel then served until June 1957. A new meetinghouse was built in the 1950s. The membership in 1956 was 308.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 862. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schmidt, H. U. "New Hopedale Mennonite Church (Meno, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N4931.html.
APA style: Schmidt, H. U. (1957). New Hopedale Mennonite Church (Meno, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N4931.html.