New York (Ignatyevka Mennonite Settlement, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine)
New York, was a village in the Ignatyevka Mennonite settlement in the province of Ekaterinoslav (now Dnipropetrovsk), in Ukraine. The Chortitza settlement bought an estate here in 1888 for its landless members and founded six villages in the following year. Of these villages, New York, with a population (1913) of 926, and Nikolayevka became the centers of the settlement. Each of the two villages had a Zentralschule, a Mennonite Brethren meetinghouse, and a Mennonite meetinghouse. With its subsidiaries Borissovo and Grigoryevka and with the forestry service unit at Azov, the New York Mennonite congregation had a membership (in 1905) of 2,275. For the Mennonite Brethren congregation in this settlement see Nikolayevka Mennonite Brethren Church.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 223.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 865. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "New York (Ignatyevka Mennonite Settlement, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49821.html.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). New York (Ignatyevka Mennonite Settlement, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49821.html.