Newaygo County Old Order Amish Settlement (Newaygo County, Michigan, USA)
The Newaygo County Amish settlement in Michigan is now extinct. A group of Old Order Amish began to settle about seven miles (11 km) north of White Cloud, Michigan, on the banks of Diamond Loch Lake in 1895, including Manasses D. Schmucker and Samuel Yoder, who purchased an old sawmill and produced lumber from which many of the dwellings of the oncoming settlers were built. Other early Amish settlers were Daniel Miller, a minister from Lagrange County, Indiana, Dave Yoder of Elkhart County, Indiana, John Fry and Samuel Miller from Ohio. Newcomers purchased land northeast of White Cloud. Names characteristic of the settlement were Kauffman, Hochstetler, Stutzman, Troyer, Chupp, and Schrock. Gradually all the ministers and many others left. A number of Amish families joined the Union Mennonite Church in White Cloud.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 865. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Nelson, T. U. "Newaygo County Old Order Amish Settlement (Newaygo County, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49845.html.
APA style: Nelson, T. U. (1957). Newaygo County Old Order Amish Settlement (Newaygo County, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49845.html.