Newport News (Virginia, USA)
Newport News, Virginia is a city (pop. 1950, 55,000; pop. 2005, 180,000) located in the southeastern part of the state. It has a large port from which many loads of cattle and horses were sent abroad during the 1940s by the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). Many of the Mennonite young men who served as attendants on UNRRA ships in 1946 and later generally spent a number of days in the city before embarking on their voyages. Two Mennonite Church churches here at that time were the Calvary Mennonite Church on Wickham Avenue (a congregation for African Americans, with a membership of 12), and the Huntington Avenue Mennonite Church, with a membership of 50. Twelve miles (20 km) north of Newport News was the Providence Mennonite Church, located near Oyster Point, with a membership of 35. Fourteen miles (22 km) northwest of the city was Denbigh and the nearby Warwick River Mennonite (MC) Church, which had 300 members. All of these congregations belonged to the Virginia Mennonite Conference except Providence, which belonged to the Ohio and Eastern Conference.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 866-867. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Carper, Eva Weber. "Newport News (Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49905.html.
APA style: Carper, Eva Weber. (1957). Newport News (Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N49905.html.