North Newton (Kansas, USA)
North Newton, a village (population ca. 400 in mid-1950s, 1,522 in 2000) in Kansas, was incorporated as a town in 1935 under a mayor-council form of government in order to provide for utilities (streets, sewers, etc.) on the Bethel College campus and the development of postal services for the college community. The village had grown around the Bethel College campus, established in 1893, and is located immediately north of Newton. It includes the Bethel College campus, the residential sections, a business area, the Mennonite Central Committee relief center, and the Bethel College Mennonite Church. Mayors of North Newton have included J. E. Regier, Paul Baumgartner, Jacob H. Lingenfelder, and John F. Schmidt.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schmidt, John F. "North Newton (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67748.html.
APA style: Schmidt, John F. (1957). North Newton (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67748.html.