North Star Mennonite Church (Drake, Saskatchewan, Canada)
|North Star Mennonite Church, Drake, SK
Source: Mennonite Church Saskatchewan website
The North Star Mennonite Church (Nordstern Mennoniten Gemeinde) at Drake, Saskatchewan began services in 1905, and formally organized on 6 February 1906 under the leadership of John Gerbrandt with 20 charter members who had immigrated to Canada the year previously and the Johannesthal and Bruderthal churches in Kansas and Alva, Oklahoma. Gerbrandt had been elder of the Johannesthal congregation, and was elected to the same office in his new charge. In 1906 H. H. Bartel, also of the Johannesthal congregation, became the assistant minister. The first year's services were held in John Gerbrandt's home. The first building was occupied in 1907, with subsequent building programs in 1928 and 1956.
In 1931 the church was led by Elder Henry H. Bartel and he was assisted by four ministers. There was a total of 277 members, 480 members and adherents, and 79 families.
For a time the congregation held separate services in three locations, including in the building four miles west of Drake and also in the village when an additional building was erected in 1928. This was discontinued when a new building was constructed in Drake in 1956. This meeting house was expanded again in 1988 with an education wing.
The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Saskatchewan, Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1908-) and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1911-1999). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1950s.
Bergen, John W. "A History of the Drake Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1956, 27 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Canadian Mennonite (8 June 1965): 4.
Drake Past and Present: Making Memories. Drake, SK,1987, 25-30.
Konferenz-Bericht der 26. Konferenz der Mennoniten im mittleren Canada, abgehalten in Rosthern, Sask., den 2., 3. end 4. Juli 1928.
Laskowskik, Gordon. Ring Out the Old, Ring in the New . Autobiography, Drake: 252-253.
Mennonite Reporter (22 January 1973): 13; (16 March 1981): 4.
Archives located at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Records kept at the church and local credit union.
Address: Box 10, Drake, SK S0K 1H0
Location: 204 Francis Street, Drake, Saskatchewan (corner of Francis and Cadiz); the former location is a rural road five km directly west of the town of Drake at 51.1509°N 106.0991°W. Though that building has been removed, the congregation’s cemetery which was located just across the road remainsl the active cemetery for the North Star Mennonite Church.
North Star Mennonite Church Ministers
|Henry H. Bartel||1926-1941|
Peters Fransen (interim)
|Audrey Mierau Bechtel (transitional)||2007-2007|
North Star Membership
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 922. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gerbrandt, Jacob, Marlene Epp and Richard D. Thiessen. "North Star Mennonite Church (Drake, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2012. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67776ME.html.
APA style: Gerbrandt, Jacob, Marlene Epp and Richard D. Thiessen. (May 2012). North Star Mennonite Church (Drake, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67776ME.html.