Olathe Mennonite Church (Olathe, Kansas, USA)
Olathe Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, located in Olathe, the county seat of Johnson County, Kansas, about 20 miles (33 km) southwest of Kansas City, had its beginning in 1884, when the first Mennonite settlers arrived from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The original nucleus of the settlement was Samuel Ernst and three of his married children. In 1872 Ernst had founded and published the Weaponless Watchman in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. In 1884 he brought it to Olathe, where it was published until 1888. Additional settlers came from Pennsylvania, Nebraska, and Indiana. Among them were such Mennonite names as Zimmerman, Hershey, Gehman, Warner, Plank, and Moyer. Originally the group worshiped in the Bethel schoolhouse located about one mile north west of Olathe. About 1900 they purchased a Presbyterian church in Olathe. Jacob H. Hershey was ordained to the ministry about 1895, but moved to Roaring Springs, Pennsylvania about 1904. The congregation never thrived and shortly after Jacob Hershey left it became extinct.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 37. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Yoder, Gideon G. "Olathe Mennonite Church (Olathe, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5155.html.
APA style: Yoder, Gideon G. (1959). Olathe Mennonite Church (Olathe, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5155.html.