Old Colony Mennonite Church (Chortitz, Manitoba, Canada)
|Old Colony Church at Chortitz, 2003|
The Old Colony Mennonite congregation (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) at Chortitz, Manitoba began services in 1936 with the reorganization of Old Colony Mennonites who had not migrated to Mexico or those who had recently returned from Mexico. The Chortitz meetinghouse was the only building available to the remnant of Old Colony people who had not migrated to Mexico. It was donated to the Old Colony Church by Jacob Heide. The original dedication of the building took place 21 October 1881. This building was replaced with a new meetinghouse dedicated on 12 November 1967. The original building was later moved to the Mennonite Heritage Village museum in Steinbach.
In 2010 the congregation's service was in Low German and the church was led by Aeltester Peter Elias.
The congregation is part of the Old Colony Mennonite Church of Manitoba.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012..
Rempel, Abraham E. "Old Colony Mennonite Church in Manitoba" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 139-141.
Address: 65 Chortitz Street North, Chortitz, MB
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Redekopp, Alf. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Chortitz, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5226.html.
APA style: Redekopp, Alf. (March 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Chortitz, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5226.html.