Orphans' Home (West Liberty, Ohio, USA)
Orphans' Home (Mennonite Church), later known as the Mennonite Children's Home, established in 1896 on a private basis by David Garber and S. K. Plank on their farm near Weilersville (not far from Orrville), Ohio, was moved in early 1900 to West Liberty, Ohio, with a formal opening on 14 May 1901. In 1899 it was placed under the Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes established in that year to own and operate this home and the Old People's Home at Rittman, Ohio. This board was merged into the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities in 1906.
It was continued as a standard orphanage for many years, in the 1940's was modified to emphasize orphan placement, was temporarily closed, to be reopened in 1957 as the Adriel School for mentally handicapped children. Abram Metzler (1854-1918) was the first and long-time superintendent of the West Liberty orphans' home.
Swartzentruber, L. L. The Child, A History of the Mennonite Orphans' Home, West Liberty, Ohio. Scottdale, PA: Mennonite Publishing House, 1931.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 87. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Orphans' Home (West Liberty, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O780.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Orphans' Home (West Liberty, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O780.html.