Osterwick, a common Mennonite village name. One of the first of the villages settled by the Mennonites of West Prussia in Russia was Osterwick in the Chortitza settlement. It became the seat of one of the largest congregations, with a membership (1905) of 1,571 besides 839 children. In 1812 a village in the same settlement was named Neu-Osterwick. From Russia the name came to the East Reserve and West Reserve of Manitoba, to Hague, SK, and from Canada to Cuauhtemoc, Mexico. In Paraguay, Canadian Mennonites from Manitoba and Saskatchewan founded the village of Osterwick in the west of the Menno Colony. In 1932 the first church in the colony was built here, with a seating capacity of 500. In Osterwick there were in 1934 twenty-seven families with a total of 163 persons.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 327.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 91. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hege, Christian. "Osterwick." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O8449.html.
APA style: Hege, Christian. (1959). Osterwick. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O8449.html.