Osthofen (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)
Osthofen, a market village in Rhenish Hesse, Germany, three miles (5 km) north of Worms, where there were Mennonites soon after the end of the Thirty Years' War. The register of Mennonite families for 1664 in the archives at Karlsruhe names Peter Schuhmacher, Walruf König (?), Wilhelm Kegi, Thiel Rings, the last as having no property, but employed on the estates. In 1680: Johann Engers, Johann Weber, Johann Rings, Peter Rings, Peter Schuhmacher, Peter Grob (?). The two Rings families are day laborers, Johann Engers a weaver, the other two perhaps hereditary tenants on nearby farms. In 1738: Daniel Schneider, Daniel Engers, Christian Weiss, David Jutzi, Johann Geber, and Johann and Abraham Nold (?). In 1743: David Jutzi, three sons and three daughters; Michael Weiss, one daughter; Ulrich Hackmann, one daughter; Jakob Weiss, Daniel Engers, one son. In 1752: David Jutzi—Katharina 9, Peter 4, Maria 9½ years old. On the Mühlheimerhof Ulrich Hackmann— Barbara 10, Anna Maria 6, and Elisabeth one year old; Jakob Weiss—Jakob 9, Christian 7, Barbara 4 years old. In 1759: David Jutzi widow, 3 children, has her son-in-law as a servant with her. Michael Weiss of Mühlheim—Katharina, Peter, Christian, Elisabeth, Michael; Jakob Weiss of Mühlheim—Jakob, Christian, Barbara, Elisabeth, Maria; Ulrich Hackmann, three children as above; Jakob Engers, linen-weaver, single. In 1768: Jakob Weiss, Georg Schneider, Johann Seutz, Jakob Engers, David Jutzi widow. In 1773: six families, seven sons, four daughters.
The Osthofen families had some difficulties. About 1670 they were summoned before Alzey officials, where they were told that all who had entered the country since 1664 must leave within two weeks and pay a fine of 50 Talers in addition. Thereupon they sent an ardent petition to the elector (undated) not to compel them to leave in winter, since they had cultivated and sowed considerable land. The petition was apparently granted. The Mennonites of Osthofen have from the first belonged to the Ibersheim congregation. In 1939 three families were living there, two named Weiss and one Stauffer.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 321.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 91-92. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Neff, Christian. "Osthofen (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O847.html.
APA style: Neff, Christian. (1959). Osthofen (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O847.html.