Otelia Mennonite Mission Church (Otelia, Pennsylvania, USA)
Otelia Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) began as a mission Sunday school in May 1938. Elmer Yoder and Harry Yoder investigated the possibilities. The Allensville Mennonite congregation undertook the responsibility and sent workers to the Otelia community. After 18 months of Sunday school work, A. Roy Payne was appointed as pastor and served until September 1949, when LeRoy A. Zook was ordained and appointed pastor. After fourteen years of work in an abandoned school a new church was erected in 1952. In 1956 the membership was 58, with A. Roy Payne and LeRoy A. Zook as ministers. In July 1957 the Otelia congregation withdrew from the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference and joined the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. Also on 21 July 1957, the resignation of LeRoy A. Zook became effective and Joe Esh of Blountstown, FL was installed as pastor.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 94. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Zook, LeRoy A. "Otelia Mennonite Mission Church (Otelia, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O873.html.
APA style: Zook, LeRoy A. (1959). Otelia Mennonite Mission Church (Otelia, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O873.html.