Palamau (Bihar, India)
Palamau, a political district in the state of Bihar, India, on the west side of Hazaribagh District. Its southern section comprises the western part of the Bihar Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Mission field. In 1956 there were three mission stations in this field, Latehar, Chandwa, and Bathet. The Palamau field was acquired from the British Churches of Christ Mission. Evangelistic, medical, and educational work are done. There are a number of small village congregations and schools administered by the missionaries and Indian workers. The following missionaries have served in this field with their families: John E. Beachy, Henry D. Becker, S. J. Hostetler, Paul Kniss, S. Allen Shirk, and M. C. Vogt. The Indian evangelists and teachers in 1956 were Kishore Bakhla, Herem Bhengara, D. M. Lakras, Masihdas Minz, Phulchand Minz, Premlata Royan, Daniel Tirki, Joel Tirki, Rabi Tirki, and A. M. Toponos.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 106. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hostetler, S. Jay. "Palamau (Bihar, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P359.html.
APA style: Hostetler, S. Jay. (1959). Palamau (Bihar, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P359.html.