Paulewitz (Czech Republic)
Paul(l)ewitz (Pawlovitz; Czech, Pavlovice), situated in a valley surrounded by vineyards, a little off the highway, half way between Auspitz and Kostel. The Hutterian Brethren opened a Bruderhof here on the lands of the Baron of Lipa, a house having been purchased in the spring of 1545 by Jakob Seckler, in which "the tall Matthes" served as the first householder. During the persecution of 1547 it was probably abandoned with the rest; it was not likely reopened, for it is nowhere mentioned again.
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 338.
Wolkan, Rudolf. Geschicht-Buch der Hutterischen Brüder. Macleod, AB, and Vienna, 1923.
Wolny, Gr. Kirchliche Topographic von Mühren, Part II: Brünner Erzdiozese II. Brno, 1858: 1141.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 125. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Dedic, Paul. "Paulewitz (Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P3908.html.
APA style: Dedic, Paul. (1959). Paulewitz (Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P3908.html.